Loss: Tips on Prevention and Restoration
Here are some helpful suggestions on loss prevention as offered on the Bunker Hill Ins. Co. website. Remember, your Homeowners policy is not a maintenance plan and you should maintain your property. Also included below are tips on what to do if you do have a loss.
Quick tips checklist
- Maintain your roof and inspect it once a year.
- Trim trees and prune dead limbs.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clean and free of debris.
- Check washing machine hoses periodically and replace them every 5 years.
- Test your sump pump regularly.
- Know how to turn off your water supply.
- Consider installing automatic shut-offs on appliances and water main.
- Replace hot water tanks before they corrode (every 7 to 10 years).
- Test smoke detectors frequently and replace batteries as needed.
- Use wood stoves and electric heaters with extreme care.
- Don’t leave candles unattended.
- Keep outdoor grills away from decks and siding.
- Dispose of smoking materials carefully.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Stairs should have secure handrails and be clutter-free.
- Make sure there are working night lights at the top and bottom of all stairs.
- Keep exterior walks free of debris, ice and snow.
- Install fences and self-closing gates around your pool.
- Arrange for mail pick-up and yard maintenance.
- Cancel newspaper deliveries.
- Keep lights on timers.
- Have a friend or neighbor check your property frequently.
And if you have a claim, here are some tips to prevent further damage:
- Call us to report your loss, or visit us at www.agordon.com
- Call a professional if you need help.
- Clean up standing water.
- Cover holes in the roof or walls.
- Report theft to local police.
- Keep receipts for any work performed.
- Find more tips on how to mitigate water or fire & smoke damage.
Get a list of home cleaning and restoration companies in your area or check out our home insurance resources and white board videos.