auto insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic insurance homeowners insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic life insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic boat insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic business insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic
         Auto Insurance          Home Insurance           Life Insurance           Boat Insurance      Business Insurance

Personal Insurance Blog

How does a Homeowners Policy cover water in a basement?

Posted by Geoffrey Gordon

Sun, Mar 04, 2018 @ 12:47 PM

The homeowners policy is limited when you get water in your basement.  Flood insurance, if you have it, will provide some help but is often limited to mechanicals (e.g. heating system).  This article will provide some guidance on available coverages as well as what you can do to reduce damage if your basement gets really wet. 


Your basement is a concrete box stuck in the ground, often below the water table (especially after a big storm), that is designed to keep water out...but it doesn't always succeed.  Water pressure is relentless and often finds its way in, which is why many people who experience wet basements have a sump pump.   A good sump pump will extract water from the lowest point in your basement and pump it outside, away from the house.   But a sump pump doesn't work without power.

Some homeowners policies have optional limited "sump pump failure" coverage for these circumstances.  Since this insurance is subject to adverse selection (meaning only the people who are especially exposed buy it), it is expensive and limited.  If you don't have sump pump failure coverage and you get water in your basement, your homeowners insurance will be extremely limited.



How does Flood Insurance  from the NFIP handle flooded basements?

In another example of underwriting against adverse selection (and flood insurance is another example of adverse selection where spread of risk is absent and risk cost is concentrated), NFIP policies do not provide insurance against any property below grade level except for mechanical systems like your heat.  And if your mechanical systems are indeed in your basement, below grade level, the NFIP will charge for this.


What can a homeowner do, absent of insurance?

Extracting the water from your basement should be your first priority

  1. A wet vac (wet vacuum), available at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, and other big box stores, is a good household item able to safely extract water.  Wet vac what you can and open basement doors and windows to let the high humidity air
  2. Put anything wooden on palettes, blocks of wood or concrete pads to prevent water from seeping into furniture or other property. 
  3. Professional remediation contractors have banks of high capacity fans to get water to evaporate and leave the building quickly.  Use any and all fans you have at your disposal once power is restored and turn up your heat to accelerate the process.

Water is the enemy in any location that is subgrade.  Fans, wet vacs, squeegies, mops, and/or specialists...use whatever and whomever it takes to get the water up and out.

To discuss your personal homeowners policy with an insurance professional at Gordon Atlantic Insurance call us at (800) 649-3252.  Prefer to type instead of talk?  Click below.



Tags: Water damage

How does a Homeowners Policy handle tree damage?

Posted by Geoffrey Gordon

Sun, Mar 04, 2018 @ 11:29 AM

Tree damage to your house from big windstorms is absolutely covered under most homeowners policies.  We live in treed neighborhoods; big storms knock down big trees, and your homeowners policy covers having the tree removed, the damage to the house, and the consequential damage such as to your personal stuff (including damage from the rain that finds its way inside).  This can get complicated with needs for cranes or other specialized equipment, roofers ,and finish contractors, so getting in line early for these services is always a good step.  

Tree damage that does not hit a building is usually limited under a homeowners policy.   Policies that do include removal and clean-up typically provide $500 or $1,000 toward having trees removed and debris cleared away, subject to your deductible.  But this is an optional add-on coverage, not included automatically.  Contact us or the service center directly for your personal specifics.

If a tree hits your home, take pictures and begin necessary repairs  Don't wait to start on anything that you can safely do yourself, or through qualified service providers.   Taking reasonable steps to prevent further damage is covered.   When a tree penetrates a roof, or otherwise breaches the roof or walls, the opening can let water into the house, causing additional damage.  Don't wait for an insurance adjuster to hire or to do these kinds of repairs (as long as you can do so safely).   

If you don't have a landscape contractor in mind who can cut up and clear away the tree debris in your yard, visit our service providers page.  Be sure to keep in mind that the costs many of these providers charge goes up when there is a demand surge, such as the couple weeks immediately following a storm.  If you're paying out of your pocket, you can usually save a few dollars by waiting until after the initial demand surge is over. 

To discuss your personal homeowners policy with an insurance professional at Gordon Atlantic Insurance, call us toll free at (800) 649-3252.  Prefer to type instead of talk?  Click below.



Tags: tree damage to home

Get Road Rewards for safer driving

Posted by Geoffrey Gordon

Fri, Mar 02, 2018 @ 03:52 PM

Gordon Atlantic is always interested in promoting safer driving.  I beta tested a new telematics program ('telematics' is a fancy word for electronic monitoring of your driving) offered through our carrier Plymouth Rock.  With the program now launched, using the app earns points which users can redeem for discounts on Shell gasoline, free movie tickets and Starbucks gift cards.   But that's not the main reason I like it.  The main reason is that I have become a better driver.

Here's how the program works:

Road Rewards Pic.png

Plymouth Rock Road Rewards measures your driving performance and provides a score measuring speed, acceleration, braking, cornering, and phone usage. The better you drive the higher your score...and the more points you earn.  It costs nothing to participate in the program, but you must be a Plymouth Rock Massachusetts customer and have access to a smartphone to earn rewards.

At its launch, there are three existing partners:

  • Shell gas: where I could earn $1.00 a gallon off my next fill-up
  • Starbucks: where I can redeem points for coffee vouchers
  • Showcase Cinema tickets: where I can view the latest Oscar-nominated movie 

As someone who isn't too fond of "Big Brother," I'm pleased to know that Plymouth Rock is not collecting sensitive personal information off this app, and there are data security measures in place to respect my privacy. My driving habits as measured by this app will also NOT be used relative to any automobile claim I might be involved in.  Further, my score will not be used to affect my premium, as telematics programs with other carriers do.  There's no downside!

The Road Rewards app tracks through your smartphone and whatever vehicle that phone is in; having multiple vehicles won't affect your score.  You don't need to drive everyday, as scores only measure actual driving.  Data usage is minimal and you can have data uploaded only when connected to wifi in settings. 

Road Rewards Pic 2.jpg

Imagine how this could impact your kids' driving habits! Have them download the app and remind them you'll be reviewing their score periodically... like whenever they ask for the keys!.  As the app recognizes phone use, such as answering a phone call or sending a text, you can see in the "Trips" section each trip in detail and where there are areas for not texting while driving! 

It also utilizes GPS to track location in order to monitor trips and adherence to local speed limits; this is when I like "big brother" to verify kids truly were where they said they were!  Parents: this app puts you in the back seat of the car...virtually.

So here's the math: the safer you drive the better your score. The better your score the more points you earn.  It's that simple.

Let me circle back to my earlier comment about the best part of this program.  Since using this app my driving has indeed changed. It has raised my awareness about phone usage (only on bluetooth now, never by hand) and no texting.  I slow down earlier for stopped traffic to avoid any hard braking and I pay closer attention to my speed.  This app has made me a safer driver, and I'm reminded of that every time I review the app's feedback and monitor my score.   

AND I earn free coffee at Starbucks, free movies at Showcase Cinemas, and discounts on gas...that's pretty rewarding.

If you'd like to discuss your personal auto insurance with a Gordon Atlantic professional, and to see if Plymouth Rock and their Road Rewards program might be a fit for you, call us toll free at (800) 649-3252.  Prefer to type instead of talk?  Ask a question below or click for an obligation-free quote! 



2018 Government Shutdown and NFIP (Flood insurance)

Posted by Stephanie O'Neill

Mon, Jan 22, 2018 @ 02:57 PM

Homeowners that are required to have a flood policy with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be affected by the current government shutdown that began on January 20, 2018 depending on when your policy - or a pending closing - is effective.

If your flood policy renewed prior to the expiration of the program (December 23rd) and you have paid your renewal, then your policy remains in force. Those who did not pay their renewal premium before or within the 30-day grace period may run the risk of not having coverage, loss of grandfathering and other penalties.

If you are purchasing a new house or property within a flood zone, you'll need a flood policy.


 If you have a sale pending, the application and payment must have been received and dated before the flood program expired (January 20) for the policy to be issued. This is the case for closing dates after January 20th also.

However, if you have a pending closing and have not submitted the application and payment, your closing will probably be delayed until the government re-authorizes the National Flood Insurance Program, or unless you choose a private flood insurance carrier such as offered at Gordon Atlantic Insurance.  See our article on private flood insurance options here.

How will claims be handled? Policies that are in force before midnight of the last effective day of authorization will remain in force until their expiration date and claims under those policies will be processed and paid as usual. Claims for covered losses occurring during a lapse, on existing policies and on policies in force after the last effective day of authorization, are to be processed and paid as usual.

FEMA will notify NFIP stakeholders when the program has been reauthorized.  Naturally if we can help with NFIP placement or with a private policy, just contact us.

Contact Us

Tags: national flood program, Flood, nfip, flood insurance

What is premium fraud?  Or, is garaging location important for insurance?

Posted by Geoffrey Gordon

Wed, Sep 20, 2017 @ 09:57 AM

Premium fraud refers to misstatements on an insurance application to reduce the cost of insurance.  When premium fraud is discovered by an insurance carrier, they may not pay a claim.

We understand that everyone wants to reduce the cost of their insurance, but making intentional misstatements to manage the cost is risky, and defeats the purpose of the whole effort.

Here's how it might play out, innocently:  Young adlut from the 'burbs gets a place in town with a friend or two, buys a car then hears that insurance in the city is a lot more expensive.  "Just say you're still living at home."   The problem is the "Just say..."

Remember that an insurance policy is a contract. Parties enter into contracts with assumptions that relevant information is available prior to each party entering.  If one party (the insurance buyer) makes a "material misrepresentation" while entering the contract, the other party (the insurance company) has grounds for not being held to their obligations. (reminder / disclosure - we are not attorneys; do not construe this as legal advice or opinion). What does this mean for insurance?

The most common occurrence of 'material misrepresentation' in retail insurance is the garaging location: where your car spends the night, as in the example above. Everyone knows that it costs more to insure the same car with the same driver in an urban environment like Boston than it costs in a suburban one. The difference is significant, up to twice as costly from Cape Cod, for example, to Boston.

Here's the rub: let's assume you are living in Boston and have a collision or comprehensive (vandalism, theft, or other non-moving damage) claim.   If the claim occurs in Boston, but the policy shows a less expensive garaging address, the insurance company will often investigate. After all, if they can show that the owner is living in the city, they might not have to pay the claim.

Every insurance company has an investigation team, commonly called the SIU, special investigation unit; they are good at what they do, and with big data, their job is getting easier. Initial efforts may begin with a quick Google name search: we have seen reports where participants in athletic events, such as a road race, show their hometown as Boston. There are plenty of other publicly available places online providing clues or outright evidence of where you are living. Then the real investigation begins to prove premium fraud…. which may allow the insurance company to walk.

If an insurance company can demonstrate the contract was entered into fraudulently, for example, by saying you live in the 'burbs when you live in town, their obligation is limited to provide compulsory coverage only: state minimum limits for property damage ($5000), bodily injury, ($20,000/$40,000), and no collision or comprehensive coverage.  

Providing false information to manage your insurance costs can be not only risky, but extremely counterproductive.

There are plenty of other ways to reduce the cost of your insurance. Just give our office a call and we'll work with you to lower the cost of your insurance, while making sure it will be there when you need it.

Tags: Premium Fraud, Claim denial, False Garaging

A Refreshing Internet Free Weekend

Posted by Geoffrey Gordon

Tue, Aug 22, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

This past weekend my son and I went to our place in New Hampshire, and enjoyed a mostly internet-free weekend. We learned a little about resourcefulness, relationships, and simplicity. If you can manage it for a day or two or a whole weekend, it's actually quite refreshing.

To appreciate the setting, understand that our place there is quite simple. We do not have electricity or running water, but we do have a pitcher pump for the best spring water east of the Mississippi, propane for a fridge and lights, and comfortable furniture. Think 5-star camping. We also get cell coverage, meaning we're not always internet free.

But, on this weekend, neither of us thought to bring a lighting cable. Our phones were nearly dead by our arrival Friday night. In one of our few early internet moves, I texted my wife that we would see her Sunday, but otherwise remain incommunicado.

We also needed a few items from the local hardware store - yes, a few non Home Depot or Lowe's stores still exist in Appalachia - so we called to see what time they closed on Saturday. As long as we had them on the phone, we asked, do you have Portland cement? Re-bar? Yes, yes, and they were open til 3:00 on Saturdays. We had time and a plan.

Our Saturday consisted of work on a project to rectify one of the conditions mentioned earlier, running water, with the construction of two spring fed cisterns above our place, with about 250' of pipe connecting them to provide gravity pressure to our kitchen. This is old fashioned physical labor, which is its own reward in so many ways: invigorating, tiring, exhausting. We worked together and independently from first light till midday when Nate built a cookfire for the Italian sausages we had grabbed from our fridge at home, probably intended for spaghetti sauce, but ultimately, delicious wrapped in bread.

On our lunch break I told a story from my college days when two buddies had tried to convince me to run the Allagash (river in northern Maine) with them and a fourth paddler over April vacation. A quick search today of running the Allagash in April will alert you that canoes cannot get under some bridges until May, that ice-out generally happens between April 10th and 20th, and that the river may run at 15,000 -20,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) when 1,500 cfs is optimal and 3,000 is considered dangerous. But we didn't have the Internet when I was in college; we had to find people who knew. It took a few days, but I asked some other people, some friends who had paddled in northern Maine, and while they couldn't tell me the current flow rate, they could tell me we'd be crazy to try such a trip in April. The trip was scrapped.

I told this story because it reminded me how information was secured in the pre-internet days: finding and talking to people with experience.

internet free weekend in new hampshire.jpg

Back to our sausages by the campfire... While we were eating, our gas guy, Tom, stopped by. Tom works full time for a company, but moonlights on weekends. He knew we had a problem with our gas stove and stopped by to check it out. So I worked as his apprentice, holding a light, getting tools, and querying about the problem. We fixed it together; I learned how to disassemble the pilot and thermocouple and to clean the orifice in the burner throat. This was not something I'd want to learn on YouTube, but working with Tom directly gave me the chance to understand with experience. Better than internet, and more enduring knowledge.

Shortly after Tom left, our wood guy Murph showed up. (Visitors are not common up here, but today was unusually busy). He apologized for being late: we had expected him mid-day, and it was mid-afternoon. Evidently when you're cutting and splitting firewood in the woods, friends drop by to visit, throwing your whole schedule off. After dropping the wood, we talked about some clearing I had hoped to do myself, but didn't have time this fall with our cistern project. Murph explained that he was busy too, but would be available later in the fall; we could get together then to identify exactly what we wanted cleared. We hashed out a few other details while walking the woods. Murph has a cell phone, doesn't have a web presence, but was referred by another fellow whom we both like. We'll have the hill cleared by the time the snow flies. Check that box. No internet assist.

As the day wound down and Nate and I talked more about the technology-free pace of yesteryear, I recalled to him a story about another local man whose property abuts ours, who wanted to agree on our property line in anticipation of a timber harvest. He walked up on a Sunday morning, we looked at an old map, then headed up to the ridge line near where I knew a cairn stood. Ted and I looked at the cairn, looked again at the map, and agreed that the cairn was close enough to the property line for both of us. He'd have his sawyers stay to the south, and when I was ready to cut, we'd stay to the north. A handshake completed that understanding, and has held since. That box needs no checks.

The challenge of a running water system in New Hampshire is freezing pipes in winter, so a constant decline from upper cistern to lower is critical. Cisterns need to be reinforced, seams covered, and pipe fittings tight. It is tedious work, requiring patience and precision, and levels, stakes in rocky ground, and time. No Google search was going to assist in this project. No Bing present. Just dirty fingernails and sore muscles, ...and a little satisfaction at the visible progress.

Loon Lake is at the bottom of the hill. There are no power boats on the lake, and August has the best water all year. We swam and swam and swam, washing the day's grime and stretching our tired backs, then changed into 'street clothes' right in the empty parking lot. We grabbed a beer and a burger over in the next town (there are no restaurants or bars in our little town), and watched the Sox beat the Yankees from the bar. Asleep by 10, and we slept well. This no-internet day was alright.

Sunday was more of the same, 2 dead phones, brush to clear, then a familiar drive home. Once home, we didn't need the internet till Sunday night to pen our reprieve here on this ipad.

To learn more about insurance and how Gordon Atlantic can help you, visit or


Tags: new hampshire, home upkeep, internet free

Reasons for a Personal Injury Endorsement on Your Homeowners Policy!

Posted by Rose Papp

Thu, Jul 13, 2017 @ 04:50 PM

What does Personal Injury mean?

Personal Injury Blog Insurance Norwell MA.jpg

Definition of “Personal Injury” means injury arising out of one or more of the following offenses:

  • False arrest, detention or imprisonment;
  • Malicious prosecution;
  • Wrongful eviction from, wrongful entry into, or invasion of the right of private occupancy of a room, dwelling or premises that a person occupies, committed by or on behalf of its owner, landlord or lessor
  • Oral or written publication of material that slanders or libels a person or organization or disparages a person’s or organization’s goods, products; or
  • An oral or written publication of material that violates a person’s right of privacy.

Personal injury must be done to someone else.

With social media, websites and blogs, anywhere that you could say or write anything about someone else, or a business, there is such a greater chance of your being sued.

Your basic homeowner policy does neither provide this coverage, NOR more importantly does not provide the defense cost associated with being sued.

For less than $100 a year, you could add this protection to your homeowner policy.

Please call us today to see if you have this coverage, or if it is something that we need to add to your policy.

To find out more about a Personal Injury Endorsement, call us at (781) 659-2262 or fill out our Request a Quote page.

Prevent Tax Fraud

Posted by Natalie DiCecca

Thu, Mar 16, 2017 @ 06:12 PM

Tax-Related Fraud is on the Rise

Tax related fraud is on the rise and takes many forms.  Fraudulent filing is one, where a false (under-reported income) return generates a check from the IRS that is mailed to a “new” address;  identity thieves may sell your stolen social security number and personal information to those with poor credit to get credit cards to use illegally; and to illegal workers, who use your information to apply for a job, then report earnings under your name, flagging your return for failing to report income.  The list of scams is as broad as the imagination of people wanting your financial identity.

Filing early can bring the identity theft to light sooner than later, minimizing the time and damages associated with resolving the theft.

Help Protect Your Identity When Filing Taxes

With the tax season in full swing, it is important to be extra vigilant about how you share personal information. In addition to filing early, there are other ways to help reduce your risk of becoming a victim of identity theft this tax season. If filing offline, make sure not to leave any tax forms in the car and to shred any paperwork you do not need before throwing out.

If filing online, be suspicious of emails claiming to be from the IRS, even if the email has the appropriate logos. According to the IRS website, the IRS does not reach out to taxpayers for personal information unless there is an issue. Also, log off completely when finished with each transaction and be wary of slow-running computers. However you choose to file, request your refund as a direct deposit so criminals cannot have it redirected to their address or steal it from your mailbox. 

For More IRS Scams, visit


Contact Us

Tags: IRS Fraud, Tax Fraud

Car Safety Seats: Is Your Child Safe?

Posted by Gordon Atlantic Insurance

Mon, Feb 27, 2017 @ 12:09 PM

Keep your children safe in proper car seats and with auto from andrew gordon in insurance norwell maOne of the most underrated topics in Auto safety is child safety, especially in regard to car seats. Before you even begin to read about safety tips, be sure you are following the two foundational axioms of Car Seat Safety:

  1. Children are almost always safer when in the back than in the front.
  2. Children MUST be in a car seat appropriate for their AGE and WEIGHT.

Using a car seat correctly is one of the best ways to prevent injury to your child. However, incorrect usage is very common, and even a minor mistake in how the seat is used can translate to serious injury in the event of an accident.

(List courtesy of the insurance information institute)

  1. Never put an infant in the front seat of a vehicle with a passenger air bag.
  2. Route harness straps in lower slots at or below shoulder level.
  3. Keep harness straps snug and fasten the clip at armpit level.
  4. Make sure the straps lie flat and are not twisted.
  5. Dress your baby in clothes that allow the straps to go between the legs. Adjust the straps to allow for the thickness of your child’s clothes. Do not use bulky clothes that could increase slack in a crash.
  6. To keep your newborn from slouching, pad the sides of the seat and between the child’s legs with rolled up diapers or receiving blankets.
  7. Put the car seat carrying handle down when in the car.
  8. Infants must ride in the back seat facing the rear of the car. This offers the best protection for your infant’s neck.
  9. Recline the rear-facing seat at a 45-degree angle. If your child’s head flops forward, the seat may not have reclined enough. Tilt the seat back until it is level by wedging firm padding such as a rolled towel, under the front of the base of the seat.
  10. All new car seats are now required to come equipped with top tether straps. A tether strap is a belt that is attached to the car seat and bolted to the window ledge or the floor of the car. They give extra protection and keep the car seat from being thrown forward in a crash. Tether kits are also available for most older car seats. Check with the manufacturer to find out how to get a top tether for your seat. Install it according to instructions. The tether strap may help make some seats that are difficult to install fit more tightly.

Protect your childrens lives with proper car seating and auto from andrew gordon inc norwell maDo not use a car seat if any of the following apply:

  1. It is too old. Look on the label for the date it was made. If made before January 1981, the seat may not meet strict safety standards and its parts are too old to be safe. Some manufacturers recommend using seats for only 6 years.
  2. It does not have a label with the date of manufacture and model number. Without these, you cannot check on recalls.
  3. It has been in a crash. If so, it may have been weakened and should not be used, even if it looks all right.
  4. It does not come with instructions. You the instructions to know how to install and use the car seat properly. Do not rely on the former owner’s instructions. Get a copy of the manual from the manufacturer.
  5. It has cracks in the frame of the seat.
  6. It is missing parts. Used seats often come without important parts. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you can get the right parts.

To find out if your child safety seat has been recalled, you can call the Auto Safety Hotline ( 888-DASH-2-DOT ). If the seat has been recalled, be sure to follow the instructions for the recall or to get the necessary parts. You should also get a registration card for future recall notices from the Hotline.

When to switch your child to a regular seatbelt:

Keep your child in a car seat for as long as possible. When he or she is big enough, make sure that seat belts in your car fit your child correctly. The shoulder belt should lie across the shoulder, not the neck or throat. The lap belt must be low and flat across the hips, not the stomach. The child’s knees should bend easily over the edge of the vehicle seat. Seat belts are made for adults. If the seat belt does not fit your child correctly, he or she should stay in a booster seat until the belt fits.

Never tuck the shoulder belt under the child’s arm or behind his or her back and use lap belts only as a last resort. Try to get a lap-shoulder belt installed in your car if it doesn’t already have one. If you must use a lap belt, make sure it is worn tight and low on the hips, not across the stomach.

  insurance question click
Corbin Foucart

Tags: auto, safety, insurance, infant, air bag, child, seat, booster, belt, car, tips, injury, baby

Insurance University: Tips for the College Bound

Posted by Gordon Atlantic Insurance

Sat, Feb 25, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

Insure your college student with personal from Andrew Gordon Inc Insurance Norwell MAFor many young adults, college is an incredibly liberating experience and a time of emotional and intellectual growth as fledgling freshman adventure further along the path of higher education. Unfortunately, many of the high tech gadgets and electronics that pepper dorm rooms can also find it an incredibly liberating experience… as they adventure out of the dorm in the hands of a thief.  The reality is that theft on college campuses does occur, according to the Newton’s 2nd law of theft:

Expensive Electronics + Doors Left Open + The Occasional Dorm Party = Theft

Fortunately, insuring the things your student takes away to college can easily and affordably be insured. Here’s what you should know.

  1. You’re probably already covered: Most students are covered under their parents’ homeowners policy, as long as they still list their primary residence as their home address rather than their dorm room. No need to fear if your student has enough electronics littering his or her dorm room to disrupt aircraft radar within a five mile radius; there is generally a 10% coverage rule that protects 10% of the value of your personal belongings worldwide (which includes hotel rooms, temporary residences, etc).  Even so, it’s probably a good idea to call your insurance provider and double check that your college bound daughter or son is covered.
  2. Yes, that includes Healthcare: A recent change in national law recently superceded the state’s coverage policy.  The old law stated that all full time students who are still dependent are covered under their parents’ policy to age 25. The new healthcare legislation further extended this to all non-married children up to 26 years of age.
  3. The abandoned car: many students go off to college and leave their cars at home. Make sure you aren’t paying top dollar for a car that will sit in your garage all year and only endanger the lawnmower next to it. Call your insurance agent and ask for a discount if the car will not be at school.  Furthermore, ask if good student discounts are available should your studious scholar return home to use the vehicle. 
  4. After Graduation: After your college student graduates and takes up residence elsewhere, the rules of the game change. They will no longer be covered under your homeowner’s policy, but will instead most likely need tenant insurance for their apartment or rented house. However, these policies are very affordable and will cover anything in the apartment that would break if someone “turned the apartment upside down and shook it” (Meehan Insurance).

Cover your college bound student with personal from Andrew Gordon Inc Insurance Norwell MAEven with this information, it’s a good idea to call your professional insurance provider and have a conversation about your son or daughter’s coverage before they leave for college. The short amount of time on the phone could save you time, money, and headaches in the future.

Additionally, an ounce of prevention is worth a time honored cliché (or a pound of cure). It’s worth taking the time to prevent the theft of items that your students own. You can protect laptops from theft by purchasing a notebook combination lock (several affordable products are listed here). Another good use of time is to photograph all valuable items and take down serial numbers and other information then store them in a GoogleDocs document; if you have a google account, you already have access to this feature. If you don’t, setting up an account is free, easy, and you can access your documents from any computer with internet access. Taking preventative measures before the next dorm party can keep your son or daughter’s electronics from “walking out” in the middle of the chaos.

For more insurance tips, information, resources, and quotes, visit us at the A. G. Gordon, Inc website. Learn more about personal insurance here

  insurance question click

Corbin Foucart

Tags: home, theft, auto, policy, insurance, student, massachusetts, prevention, university, college

Latest Posts

Have a Question?