auto insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic insurance homeowners insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic life insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic boat insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic business insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic
             Auto Insurance          Home Insurance           Life Insurance           Boat Insurance      Business Insurance

    Personal Insurance Blog

    I’ve just had an accident, what do I do now?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Fri, Dec 23, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

    I just stopped for a red light.  I was sitting there waiting for the light to turn green, when all of a sudden I was rear ended.  What do I do now?

    1. Remain Calm.  If possible, move out of the way of traffic.

    2. Make sure everyone is okay; if not call 911.

    3. Exchange information with the other party: (Hint: get out your phone!)

      • Name & address of owner – from the registration

      • Name & address of driver if different – from their license

      • Year, make & model & color of the other car – also from registration

      • Registration number - the license plate

      • Damage to the other car

      • Note Date & Time, and where accident happened.

      • This is when your cell phone comes in handy: take pictures of the other party's license and registration and damage to the cars.  Pictures can be sent to:

    1. If your car was towed, ask for name & address of tow yard or garage.

    2. Discuss the accident with your agent (call us at 800-649-3252 or 781-659-2262).

    3. Call the claim into the insurance company. (Click here for a list of our carriers). Veh accident.jpgThey will want  to speak with you directly, and coordinate the repairs.

    4. The RMV has a standard crash report (linked here) which you should complete for any accident where damages could exceed $1,000.

    5. Is your car drivable? If you buy rental coverage on your policy, you can rent a car when your car goes in for repairs; if it is not drivable, coverage begins immediately.  Confirm with the adjuster the amount of time approved for the rental. 

    6. If you do not buy rental coverage, and the other driver caused the accident, you should be eligible for rental coverage under the other person’s insurance. Contact the other carrier; we can assist you with this, but cannot represent you legally. Usually they won't authorize a rental until they hear from their own customer.

    7. If you do not have collision coverage on your vehicle and the accident was caused by another party, you can file a claim with the other person’s insurance company for thedamage to your vehicle & always request rental car coverage to be used when the car is in the shop (or not drivable). 

    8. If you do not have collision and the accident was your fault, your insurance will still pay for damage to the other person's property under the 'property damage' portion of your insurance. 

    What to expect from the insurance company:

    1. After the claim has been reported to the carrier, a claim representative will contact you to assist with coordinating the repairs.Truck.jpg

    2. This representative will assign an adjustor (the person who will actually see the damage at your home, workplace, or garage); or may ask you to visit a drive-in claims center in some cases. 

    3. The claims adjustor will coordinate with the claims representative the cost of the damages, or if the car is a total loss.  Bear in mind the claims adjustor can only price for the damages that they see.  Once your car is in for actual repairs, the shop may find more damages.  This is fairly common: in these cases, your garage should contact the company directly for a supplemental appraisal.

    4. Once the claim representative has the information back from the adjustor they will contact you with figures to either repair the car, or in some cases, they have to total the car.  If that is the case, the claim is then transferred to a total loss unit, which will contact you with the payout figures.

    The main things to remember in the case of an accident are:

    • Make sure all injured are taken care of, keep them calm and call 911 to get help out there as soon as possible.

    • Cars can be repaired or replaced.

    • Use your agent as a resource to keep the process moving if things don't go as you expect.

    Contact Us

    Tags: insurance, accident, car insurance, accident prodecures

    Insureds with Out of Country Licenses

    Posted by Donna Bellavance

    Fri, May 02, 2014 @ 03:54 PM

    Learn about insurance if you have an out of country license with andrew g gordon incVery often we are asked to write auto policies for insureds who have recently immigrated to Massachusetts.  Since auto insurance is compulsory in this state, we are required to write coverage upon request.  To write coverage in this instance we would need evidence of their foreign license.  We would also need documentation from their country indicating the date they were first licensed as well as their driving record in that country.  This documentation must be provided in English.

    If the new insured(s) were licensed more than 6 years ago in their country they will be rated as an experienced operator.  If evidence is provided that they had no accidents or incidents they will be given the step 99 credit.  However, if there was a violation or accident out of country or if no documentation is provided, their policy will be issued with a neutral step with no credit applied.

    The carriers ask that a MA license be obtained by the first renewal date.  However, they  understand that there may be extenuating circumstances that can delay the issuance of a MA license.  If there is intent shown that they are in the process of obtaining the MA license but need more time as additional information may be required by the Registry, the carriers are usually willing to extend the time frame.


    Donna Bellavance

    Tags: immigration, foreign license, Auto Insurance, license, car insurance

    Which Drivers Should Be Listed on Your Auto Policy?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Tue, Sep 10, 2013 @ 02:12 PM

    Very often we get the questions, "Can I let Sally, my neighbor, drive my car if hers breaks down?" or "Do I have to list Johnny, my son, on my policy if he hardly ever drives the car?" The answer is yes, and no.

    The policy language states that all licensed members of a household or any driver that may have regular access to a vehicle needs to be listed as an operator on the policy. The next question is to properly assign the driver as the Principal Operator of the vehicle that they are going to drive the most. Even if it is an inexperienced operator that is the Principal Operator of the third car and possibly cheaper for Mom or Dad to be listed as the Principal Operator, the inexperienced operator needs to be rated on that vehicle. The bottom line is that in the event of a loss, if the company does determine that the vehicle has been not rated properly, they could deny paying a claim. At that point, you have been paying premium for nothing. It becomes difficult to say that little Janie is not the Principal Operator of the third car when it has a High School parking sticker on it and she drives it to school every day.

    Know who should be listed on your cars auto insurance policy with Andrew g gordon inc

    If a driver in your household has their own policy they should still be listed on your policy and can then be "deferred" to their own policy. This will ensure that the operator's possible surcharges only be charged on their own policy, not on two policies. Drivers can also be "excluded" from any or all autos; this should only be done when the operator will not be covered for any optional insurance coverage. Also, payments under Parts 3 and 4 may also be limited to those amounts that the company is required by the state to sell.

    Let's go back to Sally; she is your neighbor that needs to run to the grocery store in your car because hers is in the shop. Yes, she can drive your car and will be covered without being listed as an operator on your policy. However, your other neighbor, Jim, takes your car every Wednesday to Home Depot and every Saturday to the dump. He now has "regular access" to your vehicle. Jim should be listed as an operator on your policy. However, he can be "deferred" to his own if he does have his own policy. If he does not, then he needs to be listed and then rated on it as well.

    If you have any questions whatsoever about if somebody should be listed, please feel free to give us a call and we would be more than happy to help you determine the best option. Keep in mind, none of us particularly like paying our insurance premiums but we do NOT want to pay premiums only to have the company deny paying a claim because a policy was not correctly rated... Where is the savings there?

    Teen Driver Kit


    Tags: auto, insurance, Auto Insurance, teen driver, car safety, car insurance, new driver, principal operator, excluded operator, car operator

    Latest Posts

    Most Popular Posts

    Have a Question?