Did you know that the #1 cause of house fires is COOKING? Having just entered fall, which means grilling less and cooking more, we think a kitchen fire awareness post is due. After all, Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner, two holidays notorious for their food. The National Fire Protection Association provides the following information for dealing with cooking fires; use them to make sure you cook without too warm a welcome from your kitchen.
Keep the door closed! And unplug it. Be sure to have it serviced before you use it again. (Personal experience has taught me to watch anything cooked in the microwave. Overcooked microwave popcorn can fill your home with an acrid smoke that is impossible to breathe in).
Again, KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED and turn off the heat. If the fire doesn’t go out immediately, call the Fire Department!
Nothing smells better on a Sunday morning than bacon cooking and coffee perking, but the potential for a grease fire is high. The best way to handle a grease fire is to carefully slide a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner, DON’T MOVE THE PAN, and keep the lid on until the pan cools completely. (Baking soda can also be used to suffocate the fire.) NEVER put water on a grease fire – water causes the grease to splatter and the fire to spread.
This all having been said, here’s a tasty recipe for your next brunch or cookout:
Cut Italian Sausages (mild or hot, whichever you prefer) into 1” pieces. Put the sausage pieces into a one gallon ziplock bag, along with green pepper and onion slices. Drizzle generously with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and let sit for an hour or two. When ready to cook, put the mixture in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the sausage pieces are cooked through. Delicious!