Chocolate Covered Candy Coated Rice Krispies Treats
If the name isn’t a mouthful, this holiday treat certainly will be! Now, usually messing with a classic recipe can be dangerous, especially when time and time again Krispies Treats have proven themselves delicious. However, this form of Rice Krispies Treats I experimented with before the holidays last year and it proved a hit among teenagers (and teachers). Takes about 45 minutes to make and serves 10-14.
The entire recipe is almost word for word what the Rice Krispies website says with a twist.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- One package (10oz.) regular marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- Candy Bar of choice (I’ll usually use heath bar, but in the holiday spirit, candy canes would be an excellent alternative. Any candy that can be crushed is a good option)
again, the same, until the end
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat adding marshmallows while stirring till melted, take off the burner.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal until fully coated.
- Press mixture into 12x8x2-inch pan coated with cooking spray using a buttered spatula. When it cools, cut into even squares.
- In a plastic bag, crush up a few candy bars with hands or a meat hammer; pour into a bowl big enough to dip Rice Krispies Treats in.
- In a different saucepan melt 2 to 3 cups of chocolate chips on the stove or place in a microwavable bowl and melt using a microwave.
- When the Rice Krispies are cooled, dip them into the melted chocolate (this must be done quickly before the chocolate cools) then dip the chocolate covered treat in the crushed candy. Place on a cooling rack until chocolate cools, then serve and enjoy!
This recipe can be used with any type of chocolate and any type of crushable candy. For the holiday season, I would recommend white chocolate and candy canes to provide that festive crunch. Plain chocolate can be just as good. Although I figured this variation recipe on my own, food.com has a similar recipe (and also is where the above image is from).
After dessert, check out our website www.agordon.com and learn from our insurance resources.