auto insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic insurance homeowners insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic life insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic boat insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic business insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic
             Auto Insurance          Home Insurance           Life Insurance           Boat Insurance      Business Insurance

    New to Massachusetts Blog

    Converting an Out of State License

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Fri, Nov 04, 2011 @ 05:36 PM

    MA LicenseConverts Wanted: How To Change Your Out-of-State Driver’s License

    If you recently moved to  Massachusetts from another state, here are a few tips for converting an out of state driver’s license to Massachusetts.  The Commonwealth gives you 30 days to convert your license. 

    While you are unpacking your boxes, you may want to keep in mind some of the documents outlined below that you will need to convert your driver’s license. There is also a  license application form to complete either on-line or printed before you go to the Registry of Motor vehicles. 

    You will need to make a visit to one of the Registry’s branch  offices to complete the transaction and have your photo taken for your new Massachusetts license.

    You may also be wondering if you can register your car in Massachusetts  before you change your license. The answer is absolutely “yes”. Plate registration and auto insurance may be secured before you change your license but it is expected that you will convert your license in 30 days.  Our agency can assist with the vehicle registration paperwork, offers free runner service, and provides auto insurance options.

    Here is information provided by the  Registry outlining  the documentation needed if you are 18 years or older with an out of state license. For a complete list of acceptable documents, click here.

    These are the types of documents needed:

    • Out-of-state License. If your out-of-state license DOES NOT have a photo, you must present acceptable photo ID from the Acceptable Identification Documents List.

      *Note: If you do not have your out-of-state license to surrender, you must provide a photo ID from the Acceptable Identification Documents list of identification AND a certified driving record not more than 30 days old from the state where you currently hold your License..
    • Document proving date of birth

    • Document proving signature
    • Document proving Massachusetts residency

      Note: An out-of-state License presented as one of the ID documents can be used document to confirm signature OR date of birth. It CANNOT be used to confirm both.
    • A Social Security Number (SSN) that the RMV can verify with the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) as having been issued to you OR an acceptable Denial Notice from the SSA. If you present a Denial Notice, you must also present proof of acceptable visa status, an I-94 (Record of Arrival and Departure), and a current non-U.S. Passport.
    • All documents must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted. You must also clear a check through the National Driver Register and pay the required fees.
    • If you have a previous Massachusetts License that expired four or more years ago, you are required to show all of the identification listed above.
    • If you have a license from Canada, Mexico, or US Territory ( including Puerto Rico), you must present a driving record not more than 30 days old.

    Converting your driver’s license is one step you will take in becoming a Massachusetts resident. Our agency can help you sort out the information needed to convert your license and insure your autos and home. You can request a quote by calling us at 781-659-2262 or online at

    New to MA eBook

    Kasey McCarthy

    Tags: ma rmv, converting an out of state license ma, converting a ma license, getting a ma license, ma license

    Latest Posts

    Most Popular Posts

    Have a Question?