Some More Holiday Safety: Lights
In our last blog post about holiday safety, we touched upon the topic of candles. In this blog, we’re going to talk a little about electrical safety.
One of my favorite things about the holiday season is how decorated the world becomes. Some of my fondest Christmas memories are of driving through towns and down streets just to see the lights on the houses. Some neighborhoods go all out; some just have a couple of lights in the windows. Either way, lights constitute perhaps the largest part of holiday decorations- both inside and outside the home.
Lights also pose several hazards. The best way to avoid these hazards is to follow the steps listed below:
- Make sure the lights you use outside are meant for outside use. If the lights are meant for indoor use, the weather can cause fires and electric shocks much more easily. Just check the tag.
- When putting electric lights outside (say, on the roof) make sure you use appropriate ladder safety. (Have someone spot you, make sure the ladder is stable, ascend slowly and safely, etc.)
- Check and change all the light bulbs BEFORE you plug in.
- Keep the wires away from any pets that might be chewing on them.
- Check to make sure the wires are not frayed or exposed.
- If the wires start to overheat, unplug them immediately.
Enjoy the holidays and all the dazzling lights! "Ooh" and "ahh" at the houses that go crazy with spirit! But remember to follow the steps above- nobody wants to enjoy the season in the dark.
If you have any questions about risk management or insurance, feel free to contact us. For a homeowner's quote, click the box below.