auto insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic insurance homeowners insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic life insurance norwell MA gordon atlantic boat insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic business insurance norwell ma gordon atlantic
             Auto Insurance          Home Insurance           Life Insurance           Boat Insurance      Business Insurance

    Personal Insurance Blog

    Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Recent Posts

    May is Massachusetts Motorcycle Safety Inspection Month

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Thu, May 03, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

    Do you own a motorcycle?  If you can answer "yes," there are two dates you need to remember:

    • the month of December is when all motorcycle registrations expire
    • the month of May is when all motorcycles need to have their annual safety inspection done
    Rose Motorcycle Image

    With the nicer weather FINALLY upon us we will see more and more motorcycles out on the road.  Please look for them and please look out for them!  

    If you are a bike owner, May is typically when New England weather allows you to pull that bike out, get a tune up done, and make sure it is road ready.  Here's a list of some of the items to check:

    • tires
    • lights
    • turn signals
    • mirrors
    • horn
    • brakes
    • oil
    • fuel
    • muffler noise

    Massachusetts is a helmet state.  When on the bike you should be wearing a US DOT standard helmet.  It is very important that this helmet is the correct size for your head.  In the event of an accident, having a properly fitted helmet can save your life.  Straps need to be buckled at all times.

    If your motorcycle does not have a windshield you should be wearing some type of eye protection such as goggles, eye glasses, sunglasses or a face shield.

    ALWAYS wear appropriate clothing.  So many times you see a driver or passenger wearing shorts, tank tops and/or open toe shoes.  None of that will help protect you if you go down.  No one expects this to ever happen, but it's far better to be safe than sorry...road rash can be nasty.

    To discuss your motorcycle insurance, get a no-obligation quote, or to have any questions on this topic answered, please call a Gordon Atlantic Insurance professional toll free at 1-800-649-3252.  Prefer to type instead of talk?  Use the form at the top left of this blog.



    Tags: inspection, summer safety, auto inspection, motorcycle safety, look twice to save a life

    Reasons for a Personal Injury Endorsement on Your Homeowners Policy!

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Thu, Jul 13, 2017 @ 04:50 PM

    What does Personal Injury mean?

    Personal Injury Blog Insurance Norwell MA.jpg

    Definition of “Personal Injury” means injury arising out of one or more of the following offenses:

    • False arrest, detention or imprisonment;
    • Malicious prosecution;
    • Wrongful eviction from, wrongful entry into, or invasion of the right of private occupancy of a room, dwelling or premises that a person occupies, committed by or on behalf of its owner, landlord or lessor
    • Oral or written publication of material that slanders or libels a person or organization or disparages a person’s or organization’s goods, products; or
    • An oral or written publication of material that violates a person’s right of privacy.

    Personal injury must be done to someone else.

    With social media, websites and blogs, anywhere that you could say or write anything about someone else, or a business, there is such a greater chance of your being sued.

    Your basic homeowner policy does neither provide this coverage, NOR more importantly does not provide the defense cost associated with being sued.

    For less than $100 a year, you could add this protection to your homeowner policy.

    Please call us today to see if you have this coverage, or if it is something that we need to add to your policy.

    To find out more about a Personal Injury Endorsement, call us at (781) 659-2262 or fill out our Request a Quote page.

    A Homeowner Claim Scenario: A Break-In

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Fri, Feb 10, 2017 @ 12:53 PM

    You just pulled into your driveway, and you notice that the door has been kicked in.  What do you do?

    • DO NOT enter the house.
    • CONTACT the police.
    • WAIT for the police to arrive; they will need to make sure the burglar is not still in the house.
    • When it is safe to enter the house, take a walk around and see if anything is missing. It could take days before you discover all that is missing.
    • If you have pets, check on them to make sure they are safe.
    • MAKE a list of items that are missing, include an approximate value.  
    • MAKE a list of the damage that was done to the home.
    • Once you have your list(s) AND a copy of the police report, NOTIFY your agent or the insurance company directly. Use our site to find your carrier:
    • PROTECT the property from further damage. You must make reasonable and necessary repairs to the door, or door frame or both.
    • KEEP an accurate record of the repairs and all costs.
    • CHECK with your neighbors, did they see or hear anything.
    • A break-in can be very stressful. You feel violated that someone was in your home. How do you feel comfortable in your own home again?

    Maybe now is a good time to think of getting a burglar system installed that is monitored at a Central Station.  Not only will it give piece of mind, but most insurance companies will give a discount for a monitored central station alarm.

     Contact Us

    Tags: home, break-in, claim, violation, personal property

    I’ve just had an accident, what do I do now?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Fri, Dec 23, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

    I just stopped for a red light.  I was sitting there waiting for the light to turn green, when all of a sudden I was rear ended.  What do I do now?

    1. Remain Calm.  If possible, move out of the way of traffic.

    2. Make sure everyone is okay; if not call 911.

    3. Exchange information with the other party: (Hint: get out your phone!)

      • Name & address of owner – from the registration

      • Name & address of driver if different – from their license

      • Year, make & model & color of the other car – also from registration

      • Registration number - the license plate

      • Damage to the other car

      • Note Date & Time, and where accident happened.

      • This is when your cell phone comes in handy: take pictures of the other party's license and registration and damage to the cars.  Pictures can be sent to:

    1. If your car was towed, ask for name & address of tow yard or garage.

    2. Discuss the accident with your agent (call us at 800-649-3252 or 781-659-2262).

    3. Call the claim into the insurance company. (Click here for a list of our carriers). Veh accident.jpgThey will want  to speak with you directly, and coordinate the repairs.

    4. The RMV has a standard crash report (linked here) which you should complete for any accident where damages could exceed $1,000.

    5. Is your car drivable? If you buy rental coverage on your policy, you can rent a car when your car goes in for repairs; if it is not drivable, coverage begins immediately.  Confirm with the adjuster the amount of time approved for the rental. 

    6. If you do not buy rental coverage, and the other driver caused the accident, you should be eligible for rental coverage under the other person’s insurance. Contact the other carrier; we can assist you with this, but cannot represent you legally. Usually they won't authorize a rental until they hear from their own customer.

    7. If you do not have collision coverage on your vehicle and the accident was caused by another party, you can file a claim with the other person’s insurance company for thedamage to your vehicle & always request rental car coverage to be used when the car is in the shop (or not drivable). 

    8. If you do not have collision and the accident was your fault, your insurance will still pay for damage to the other person's property under the 'property damage' portion of your insurance. 

    What to expect from the insurance company:

    1. After the claim has been reported to the carrier, a claim representative will contact you to assist with coordinating the repairs.Truck.jpg

    2. This representative will assign an adjustor (the person who will actually see the damage at your home, workplace, or garage); or may ask you to visit a drive-in claims center in some cases. 

    3. The claims adjustor will coordinate with the claims representative the cost of the damages, or if the car is a total loss.  Bear in mind the claims adjustor can only price for the damages that they see.  Once your car is in for actual repairs, the shop may find more damages.  This is fairly common: in these cases, your garage should contact the company directly for a supplemental appraisal.

    4. Once the claim representative has the information back from the adjustor they will contact you with figures to either repair the car, or in some cases, they have to total the car.  If that is the case, the claim is then transferred to a total loss unit, which will contact you with the payout figures.

    The main things to remember in the case of an accident are:

    • Make sure all injured are taken care of, keep them calm and call 911 to get help out there as soon as possible.

    • Cars can be repaired or replaced.

    • Use your agent as a resource to keep the process moving if things don't go as you expect.

    Tags: insurance, accident, car insurance, accident prodecures

    Checklist for your Household Drivers

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Thu, Sep 15, 2016 @ 02:37 PM

    Did you know that every licensed driver in your household needs to be listed on your auto policy.  Even your neighbor that you let use your car once a week to go shopping needs to be listed.  The MA auto application states "all household licensed drivers, or anyone who customarily uses your auto" needs to be listed.  If they have their own policy they can be deferred on your policy.  Meaning they are listed on your policy because they have to be listed, but they are not rated on your policy.

    Another thing you have to be careful of is to make sure all listed drivers have an active license.  If their license has expired, or was suspended, and they are driving your car and get into an accident, the company has the right to deny paying the claim. 

    With the completive rating, (since 2008), it is up to the individual companies to decide how that want to handle that claim where the driver does not have an active license.  In most cases the company will deny paying the claim.




    Tags: auto policy, licensed household members, Auto Policy Drivers

    What is Earthquake Coverage?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Mon, Aug 22, 2016 @ 11:00 AM


    Did you know that your homeowner policy does not automatically cover damage caused by an earthquake?

    What is an earthquake? 

    An earthquake is caused by a sudden slip on a fault.  The tectonic plates are always slowly moving, but they get stuck at their edges due to friction.  When the stress on the edge overcomes the friction, there is an earthquake that released energy in waves that travel through the earth’s crust and the cause the shaking that we feel.

    I know you are probably thinking this isn’t California, why do I need earthquake coverage?

    Well it is true, here in Massachusetts we normally do not get earthquakes very often.  There have been a few small ones here and there.  But if we can have small ones why can’t we have bigger ones?  Well we can. 

    In order to protect yourselves in the event of an earthquake you need to add the coverage to your homeowner policy, the endorsement is called Earthquake homeowner form HO 04 45.

    The endorsement states that for an additional premium the company will insure for direct physical loss to property covered under Section 1 caused by an earthquake including land shock waves, or tremors before, during or after volcanic eruption.  One or more earthquake shocks that occur within a 72 hour period will count as a single occurrence.  There is usually a 5% deductible that is applied to the destroyed or damaged property. 

    You want to be insured in the event of an earthquake.  Premium for the earthquake coverage varies per company.  Please contact us here at Gordon Atlantic Insurance for a quote today.

    Tags: Earthquake Coverage, Earthquakes

    Do You Have Scheduled Items on Your Homeowner Policy?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Tue, Jul 19, 2016 @ 11:34 AM

    Did you know you can schedule Jewelry, Furs, Fine Arts, Firearms, Musical Instruments (not used professionally), Cameras, and Stamp or Coin collections on your homeowner policy?

    Most people think that the above items are all personal property items and they are covered under my homeowner policy.  Yes that may be true, but did you know your homeowner policy will cover those items only up to a certain amount, and only in certain cases.

    Example of that would be with Jewelry, the homeowner policy has a limit on what they will pay and the only loss they will pay is for theft.  What happens if you misplace it, or lose a stone from the jewelry item?  Those are not covered losses under the homeowner policy.

    The benefits of scheduling the items would be those claims would be covered.  When you have items scheduled on the policy, in most cases, when you have a claim, you won’t have to pay the policy deductible.

    One thing to remember is to keep your scheduled items up to date.  If you get new items, don’t forget to add them.  Or, if you give some items away, take the items off your policy.   Every few years or so, you should get updated appraisals to make sure the items haven’t gone in price and you have them scheduled for a lower price.

    Learn how to keep your valuables covered with a homeowners policy or an arts and collections policy.


    Tags: collections, fine art, camera, homeowner policy, jewelry, valuables insurance, firearm insurance, musical instruments

    Tips For a Safe and Happy Fourth of July!

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Fri, Jun 17, 2016 @ 10:14 AM

    Summer is finally upon us!  One of the America's favorite summer holidays is the Fourth of July.

    People will be gathering together for parades, cookouts, water sports and fireworks.  These activities are all very fun, but it is a good idea to remember to take caution while celebrating.

    Water sports and fireworks are the two of the biggest pastimes for Fourth of July celebrations, and these are both linked to numerous deaths and injuries each year.

    Be a safe swimmer, never swim alone.  Alcohol consumption also increases the risk of accidental drowning.

    Make sure kid’s water play is adequately supervised at all times.

    Many children or adults for that matter drown when other people are nearby, so always have a designated chaperone for water play and don’t assume that others are watching the kids.   Statistics show that most young children who drown in pools have been out of site for less than five minutes.

    Fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts.  But that doesn’t stop people from getting them anyways.  Every year there are injuries where people tried to put on their own firework display.   Attending fireworks displays organized by professionals is always safer, but you still need to be cautious and keep your eyes open.

    Most importantly, have fun with family and friends. From everyone here at Gordon Insurance, happy summer and happy 4th!


    Tags: summer, holiday, fireworks, july, 4th, safe, water sports, fun, happy, fourth of july

    What are the different Bodily Injury limits on your Mass Auto Policy?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Wed, Jun 01, 2016 @ 11:02 AM

    Under Compulsory insurance you are required to purchase 4 parts.

    Under Optional insurance you may purchase 8 additional parts.

    Under Compulsory insurance you must purchase Bodily Injury to Others & Bodily Injury Caused by an Uninsured Auto

    Under Bodily Injury to Others the company will pay damages to people injured or killed by your auto in Massachusetts accidents.  The damages the company will pay are the amounts the injured person is entitled to collect for Bodily Injury through a court judgement or settlement.  The company will pay only if your or someone else using your auto with your consent is legally responsible for the accident.  The most they will pay is $20,000 per person or $40,000 per accident.  The coverage only applies if the accident causing Bodily Injury that happens in Massachusetts, and does not apply to guest occupants of your auto.

    Bodily Injury Caused by An Uninsured Auto.  This is Part 3 of the auto policy.   Sometimes an owner or operator of an auto legally responsible for an accident is uninsured.  Some accidents involve unidentified hit-and-run autos.  The company will pay damages for Bodily Injury to people injured or killed in certain accidents caused by uninsured or hit-and-run autos.  The company will pay only if the injured person is legally entitled to recover from the owner or operator of the uninsured or hit-and-run auto. The company will pay for hit-and-run accidents only of the owner or operator causing the accident cannot be identified. Sometimes the company insuring the auto responsible for the accident will deny coverage or become insolvent.    The insurance company will consider an auto to be uninsured for purposes on this part.  However, the company does not consider an auto owned by a government unit which is self-insured, or by someone who is legally self-insured, to be an uninsured auto.  You must purchase at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.  However you may want to purchase more protection.  You cannot purchase higher limits on this part (part 3) unless you purchase higher limits on Optional Bodily Injury to others (part 5).

    The company will pay damages to or for you, or household members, while occupying your auto, while occupying an auto you do not own, or if injured as a pedestrian.

    Optional Bodily Injury to Others (part 5) The Company will pay damages to people injured or killed in accident if you or a household member is legally responsible for the accident.  They will also pay is someone else is using your auto with your consent is legally responsible for the accident.    The amounts the company will pay are the amounts the injured person is entitled to collect for Bodily Injury through a court judgement or settlement. 

    Unlike the Compulsory Bodily Injury to Others (part 1), this coverage will pay for accidents that happen outside of Massachusetts.  Subject to the limits you selected.

    If the accident occurs in any other state or in a Canadian province and you have purchased any coverage at all under this part, your policy will automatically apply to that accident, as follows, if the state or province has a financial responsibility law or similar law requiring limits of liability for Bodily Injury higher than the limits you have purchased.  Your policy will provide the higher required limit.  Example, you purchase a limit of $35,000 per accident/$80,000 per accident, you have an accident in a state that requires $50,000 per person/$80,000 per accident, your policy will automatically give you the higher limits for that accident.

    The last is Bodily Injury Caused by an Underinsured Auto (part 12).  Sometimes an owner or operator of an auto legally responsible for an accident is underinsured.  By purchasing this item the company will pay for damages for Bodily Injury to people injured or killed as a result of certain accidents caused by someone who does not have enough insurance. 

    If you’re injured in an accident and you have large medical bills, more than the amount per person that the legally responsible party has on their policy, and you have higher limits, then you could put in a claim on your policy to get the remaining payments paid.

    Say you have medical bills of $60,000.  The responsible party only had $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident.  Their policy will only pay $20,000 towards your bill.  You are responsible for the remaining $40,000.  If you have purchased this coverage with $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident, you could then put in a claim under your policy for pay the $40,000 that you responsible for.

    In order to purchase higher limits on part 3, Bodily Injury caused by an Uninsured Auto and part 12 Bodily Injury caused by an Underinsured Auto, you must also purchase the same limit or higher limits on part 5 Optional Bodily Injury to Others.  A good way to look at this is on part 5 Optional Bodily Injury to Others you are buying protection to protect someone that you might injure, you should also buy protection for yourself in case you are hit by someone who is uninsured or underinsured.

    A good rule of thumb is you should purchase the same limits on all 3 parts, Bodily Injury caused by an Uninsured Auto, Optional Bodily Injury to Others and Bodily Injury caused by an Underinsured Auto.


    Tags: limits, bodily injury, insured auto, uninsured auto, mass auto policy

    When can you use your Substitute Transportation coverage?

    Posted by Gordon Atlantic Staff

    Wed, Apr 27, 2016 @ 08:30 AM

    We have been getting calls from clients who are under the impression that they can use the Substitute Transportation portion of their policy to rent a car after their car has broken down.

    In order to purchase Substitute Transportation coverage, you also need to purchase Collision and/or Comprehensive coverage.

    Under the policy, if you have collision coverage, the company will pay for a rental while your auto is being repaired or replaced after an accident. If you have comprehensive coverage, the company will pay for a rental if your vehicle is stolen or damaged from an accident other than a collision claim.

    When you purchase Substitute Transportation, you will have the option of picking how much the company will pay per day.  Your options are $15, $30, $45, or $100 a day. Based on the amount your pick there will be a maximum the company will pay.  The company could pay up to 30 days.   For the $15 per day, the maximum the company would pay is $450.  For $30 per day, the maximum would be $900. For $45 per day, the maximum would be $1350. For $100 per day, the maximum would be $3,000.

    The company will only pay for a reasonable period of time of having your auto repaired or replaced. 

    If your auto is stolen, you must report the theft to the company and the police.  The company will start to pay for Substitute Transportation 48 hours after you have notified the police and the company. When your car is located, then the Substitute Transportation stops within a day.

    If you have any questions, please feel free to give our office a call at 781-659-2262, or check out our website.


    Tags: Substitute Transportation, Rental Coverage

    Latest Posts

    Have a Question?